Tuesday 4 November 2014

My Hair History


I'm only nineteen, yet I've gone through a multitude of hairstyles, hair colours and... um, hair traumas... So let's take a look back at the sequence of events... and questionable trends. P.s. excuse the 2008-esque selfies


The Early Days

As a child my Mum had complete control over the style of my hair. Which basically meant shoulder length and fringe: beautiful... I'd have to give this 5/10, there was much worse to come. (p.s. a strapless Christmas dance dress is being worn here, not what you're thinking)


The Highlights of the Highlights

Around 2007 I began experimenting with my hair, making me aged eleven to twelve. You know kids want to emulate their mum, so I asked for highlights (about a level 7) like hers and had a mid-length swoopy side fringe (really, it was in!). This was a nice look and brightened up my face: 7/10, cute for younger me...



But blonde gets addictive and I wanted more... I convinced my mum to let me buy some wash in wash out dye in a light blonde, and because most of my hair was virgin, the colour took amazingly well! If I could, I'd try and aim for something like this right now, a root colour (level 6?) blending into a lighter colour (level 7/8). Bit nicer, 8/10!


Mahogany and "The Pob"

But I grew bored of the natural blonde and wanted something a little more... interesting. Being a child in the early naughties, I loved STEPS, and I loved Lisa from STEPS, along with her hair. So I went Mahogany with the L'oreal Casting Creme. But this was done with the assistance of my Dad: Mother did not approve, so it soon went and faded. Not too bad, so 7.5/10.

I got fed up again and did something crazy with my haircut: I got an A line bob, of course styled after Victoria Beckham... I'm still gobsmacked when people don't remember the famed Pob (Posh bob, if you didn't get that one!). This was not a cute look on me... oops 4/10.

The Regrowth and the Black

I spent a long, long time trying to grow that out. I also spent a long time trying to grow out of that baby fat, both eventually happened.
My aim was to be able to grow my hair over my boobs. I was a classy girl, what can I say. I got it to a certain point before I decided I wanted hair like Megan Fox a-la overly dark hair (L'oreal Casting Creme in Dark Chocolate... still can't believe I took myself to a level 3/4). This was probably the point my hair started to become over-processed. Hmm, 3/10.



Black to Blea(k)ch

I soon took my mothers advice of the colour being too dark, and stopped after about three or four reapplications. But my hair was so bulked out with dye molecules, that there was no way I could lighten this safely. I thought all was lost, and would have to wait for regrowth all over again. That was until one day I was watching the tv and saw an advert for a product called Colour B4, which strips the dye from the hair. I gave it a go and it was wonderful: I went from a level 3 to a level 5-ish, without peroxide. Best condition I had been in ages, also that nasty fringe was on its way out! 7/10, I liked it a lot.

But that didn't last long, I craved blonde again, so went on a long journey to become an icey platinum. A lot of my friends still say they'll see pictures of me blonde and be shocked, I'm quite obviously a better brunette. The regrowth was dyer (pun intended) and I was getting it done professionally. I have since vowed to never go to the completely blonde side again.



Back to Brown

I returned to brown, by going to the hairdresser and dying over the bleached hair. This was a lovely colour, but would came out of the hair easily, after the amount of bleach that had previously made it porous . Also, this was the first time I went to that specific hairdresser and he cut about three or so inches off my hair (after asking for one): the colour was so natural, but I sobbed over my now "long bob". Safe to say, I never went back. But hair grows, as it does, and I then loved how it looked. I'd like to say 7/10.

My mop had very little differentiation for a couple of years as I grew it back to a long length. There was a bit of lightening with John Frieda Go Blonder Lightening Spray, which did cause a little damage. That resulted in me going back to the hairdressers after the disastrous cut. I was confident as they are known to be the best salon brand in the West of Scotland. But when I started getting colour there, to try and even it out: that was where the nightmare began. They would make it so dark and it had such a strong red undertone! But after four or five washes, it would fade to a nice natural colour. Ehh, 5/10.

The Balayage and the Beast, To Now

My mum had gone away for the weekend up to the North of Scotland, while I stayed at home, preparing for a new year at University. I decided I wanted something natural and lighter. That's when I discovered balayage. I took the picture below to the salon, you know, the famously good one I previously mentioned, and asked for something similar.

The criteria I gave was: to be recognisable as brunette (no bleach blonde again please!), blended as I wanted it to look super natural, no lighter than a level 7, and ashy.
That saying the hairdresser threw that aside and gave me this (0/10!):


I was beyond pissed, especially since it cost £130, but I pretended I liked once it was done: maybe I was just being a spoilt brate that'd never be happy with her hair. I cried and cried and refused to go out, so the next day my grandparents took me back for them to fix this disaster, Guy Tang would be appalled by this site!
They basically put highlights through it (it was like going blonde all over again: disaster!) to "fix it", but It turned out horrifically too... I heard the hairdresser saying she was using a level 10 blonde, no wonder! Then the salon's colourist came over and fixed by blending from a level 5 brown, to a level 6. It was nice enough, just incredibly dark (and not those levels). It faded quickly on the ends, since it was porous and had go back, costing me another £90.
I've not gone back to that specific salon, but another in the franchise, for a cut. I figured if I got some shorter layers cut into it, that'd chop a whole lot of that nasty bleach out. And it did, thank god. Also, since I've been on holiday, so that level 5 brown you see above (who are you kidding), has faded to a lovely level 5.5. Furthermore, because of the highlights that were placed in the "colour correction", I now have actual balayage, hooray! I'm loving my hair right now: 9/10.

Let me know, have you had any hair disasters? Or even better, amazing hairstyles you've loved?

2 comments:

  1. I nominated your blog for the Liebster Award. Check out my blog www.notetheobvious.weebly.com for more information.

    Happy posting!

    Tinisha

    ReplyDelete



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...